Ithaca Climate Summary for August 2001
- With an average temperature of 70.6 degrees, the month averaged 3.7 degrees warmer than normal.
- Six out of eight months this year have been warmer than normal.
- This was the warmest August since 1955 and the fourth warmest August on record (adjusted records date back to 1873).
- There were four 90 degree days recorded this month--the most in an August since 1995.
- The warmest temperature of the month was 97 degrees on the 9th. This tied a record for the day set in 1949. The last time a warmer temperature was recorded in Ithaca was July 16, 1988 (98 degrees).
- The coldest temperature of the month was 46 degrees on the 25th.
- August precipitation totalled 3.62 inches, which represented 105% of normal.
- There was measurable precipitation reported on 9 days, with 4 of these days receiving 0.5 inches or more.
- This was the wettest August in the last 5 years.
- The precipitation deficit for the calendar year was reduced to 0.58 inches.
Keith L. Eggleston (email@example.com)
Northeast Regional Climate Center