Ithaca Climate Summary for May 1995
- The average temperature for May was 54.1 degrees. This was 0.9 degrees
than normal, but 2.1 degrees warmer than May 1994.
- The warmest temperature of the month was 80 degrees on the month's final
- The temperature fell into the 20's on two occasions. The colder of these
occurred on the 8th, when the temperature fell to 26 degrees.
- The May precipitation total was 2.64 inches, which is 80% of normal.
- This was the fourth month in a row with below normal precipitation, yielding
a four-month deficit of 2.74 inches
- With just 5.92 inches of precipitation, this was the 9th driest Spring
(March-May) in the last 117 years, and the driest since 1981.
- The ten driest springs ever in Ithaca are as follows:
1915 3.31 inches
1885 4.73 inches
1965 5.36 inches
1981 5.36 inches
1926 5.49 inches
1962 5.55 inches
1923 5.58 inches
1978 5.64 inches
1995 5.92 inches
1903 5.96 inches
- Barring any June freezes, the date of the last spring freeze was May 9th.
This was 8 days before the normal of May 17th and also earlier than each of the
last 3 years.
Keith L. Eggleston (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Northeast Regional Climate Center