Ithaca Climate Summary for May 1999
- With an average temperature of 57.9 degrees, the month of May 1999 averaged 2.9 degrees warmer than normal.
- This May, however, was 3.2 degrees cooler than last May.
- The warmest temperature of the month was 88 degrees on the 31st (one degree shy of the record for the day).
- The coldest temperature of the month was 28 degrees on the 13th.
- May precipitation totalled only 0.81 inches, which was 24% of normal.
- This was the 4th driest May since records began in 1879 and the driest since 1934.
- Precipitation for the last 10 months totalled 20.78 inches - a 7.4 inch deficit and the driest August through May period since 1964-65.
- There were only 7 days with measurable precipitation this month. This tied for the second fewest during the month of May since the turn of the century. There were only 5 such days in May 1903. The other years with 7 days were 1911, 1934, 1977 and 1991.
Keith L. Eggleston (email@example.com)
Northeast Regional Climate Center