Ithaca Climate Summary for November 1998
- With an average temperature of 39.8 degrees, the month of November 1998 averaged 0.6 degrees warmer than normal.
- Temperatures through the 22nd averaged 2 degrees cooler than normal, but the last 8 days of the month averaged 7.6 degrees warmer than normal.
- Eleven of the last twelve months have had a monthly temperature that averaged warmer than normal.
- The average temperature for the months of January through November was 50.8 degrees (3.2 degrees warmer than normal)the warmest such period since records began in 1873.
- The warmest temperature of the month was 65 degrees on the 30th. This broke the record for the day of 64 degrees set in 1934.
- The coldest temperature of the month was 27 degrees on the 13th and 18th.
- November precipitation totalled 1.25 inches, which was only 41% of normal.
- This was the driest November since 1978 and the 17th driest since 1879.
- This was the fifth consecutive drier than normal month.
- The year-to-date precipitation total of 32.93 inches was 0.10 inches greater than normal.
- There was no measurable snowfall reported this month.
- This was the first time since 1966 that no measurable snowfall has been reported by December 1. The only other years (since records began in 1879) that this occurred were 1881, 1896, 1915 and 1927.
Keith L. Eggleston (email@example.com)
Northeast Regional Climate Center