Ithaca Climate Highlights for September 1995
- The average temperature for September was 57.8 degrees. This was 2.0 degrees
cooler than normal.
- It was the coolest September since 1988.
- The month's hottest temperature was 85 degrees achieved on the 7th.
- The coldest temperature of the month was 31 degrees and was recorded on three
days-the 19th, 24th and 29th. Frost was also reported at many locations on the
11th, but the temperature at the weather station that morning was 33 degrees.
- The first freezing temperature of the fall occurred on the 19th. This was
nine days earlier than normal. This temperature also tied a record low for that
date (set in 1959).
- September precipitation totalled 1.94 inches, which is 55% of normal.
- This was the driest September since 1988.
- It rained on 15 of the month's 30 days. The long-term September average is
days. Amounts were quite light, however, with only one day receiving more than
- This was the eighth month in a row with below normal precipitation, yielding
a year-to-date deficit of 8.32 inches. This trails only 1969 as the driest
January-September since records began in 1880.
Keith L. Eggleston (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Northeast Regional Climate Center